Thursday, November 01, 2012

The scar is exposed.

Well, I'm glad that's over. As the appointment at the doctor's got nearer I got more and more nervous, but I was comparing it to waiting for surgery and it just felt funny - laughable - to be nervous. I think that will be a good tactic for the rest of my life, nothing is as bad as waiting for surgery.

It really didn't hurt having the staples removed. One of these days I'll actually believe someone who tells me something isn't going to hurt, but not just yet. There were 34 staples in total, they just looked like normal staples - sitting in my head. I'm glad I couldn't see what was going on, but Oliver took photos and I've looked at them now.

Although it didn't hurt I still got squeamish and had to stop to lie down with my feet in the air. I disappointed myself as there really was nothing to be odd about, but I suddenly went very hot and fainty. The nurse had to get me some water.

The scar is impressively gruesome: it's funny that it was Hallowe'en. There is blood, as you'd expect, but apparently it is healing well. It looks very bumpy to me, and very visible. I'm not sure it would be fair to walk around with it exposed (now it's not Hallowe'en anymore) until my hair grows back a bit more, I wasn't far wrong with the frankenstein reference.

Still, it feels good to have the plasters off and getting air to the scar will only help it heal faster. I'm looking forward to being able to wash it, although that will still be a while away yet. It does feel a bit more fragile, psychologically, without the staples in but I think I just need a bit of time to get used to it again.




No comments:

Post a Comment